[Jack-Devel] JACK1 0.125.0rc1 now available

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Mar 3 11:04:51 CET 2016

On 03/02/2016 09:46 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Hanspeter Portner
> <ventosus at airpost.net
>
>> I have seen issues, too. I get heavily crackled sound on a first
>> clients audio output upon loading of a second client into the
>> graph. The crackling sometimes disappears when loading a third
>> client. The server may also crash sometimes while crackling along.
>>
>> I have bisected it down to:
>> 423931219dd3e3b669fde97786cadae92c066dc1 before that I do not seem
>> to experience these crackles.
>
> I get the crackles *sometimes*. My general setup is Clementine
> playing audio, then ardour starts up. 1 time in 10, Clementine will
> crackle like crazy and then it will die and/or the server will die.
> Not using Clementine, 1 in 15 times that I run Ardour, I can kill the
> server.
>
> I also bisected it down to fons' topological sort patch. Which is a
> problem because in some ways that's the biggest reason for this new
> release :(

i must say that i can also now definitely confirm that the issue below,
that i've reported earlier as garbled sound on pulseaudio+alsa_midi
driver, is introduced by this very same "Fons' topological sort" commit.

only that the "crackling" does occur *always* on me (if not dead silence).

funny enough, in my case at least, on all tests i've tried, and they
were a lot during the past week, it only occurred deterministically
speaking, when pulseaudio-jack-sink and -source modules were up and
jackd had the alsa_midi slave driver loaded (via -Xalsa_midi or -Xseq).

if the alsa_midi slave driver is not loaded, everything runs and sounds
fine (apparently).

also, using a2jmidid as a backup alsa_midi bridge, the problem didn't
manifest.

oh, and the new release has way more important fixes to me at least,
like the fixes on the alsa_midi slave driver hotplug and freewheel
handling and the metadata memory leaks and garbage/crash fixes. etc.

On 02/28/2016 12:24 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

 > not so fast, sorry. i missed to report one particular issue though:
 >
 > as a matter of fact, the alsa_midi driver eg. jackd -Xalsa_midi (or
 > -Xseq), seems to severely interfere with pulseaudio and/or
 > vice-versa. symptoms are that of all jack audio pcm sound getting
 > horribly garbled if not silence most of the time and pulseaudio stops
 > to function if at all. nb. though good old `a2jmidid -e &` works fine
 > instead.
 >
 > however, i am not sure this is incidental to 0.125.0rc1, as i
 > believe the issue has been seen before and probably is related to
 > some pulseaudio recent updates. btw. distro is opensuse tumbleweed
 > which gets pervasive system updates, on a weekly basis
 >
 > again, to be clear, nothing about zombie clients or crashes
 > experienced with 0.125.0rc1.

hth.
byee
--