[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 25 16:05:19 CEST 2017

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:15:26 +0200, Ralf Mattes wrote:

>Am Freitag, 25. August 2017 08:25 CEST, John Rigg <j at jrigg.co.uk>
>schrieb:
>
>> On 08/24/17 22:30, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> > FreeBSD is not real-time capable, you need very long latency.
>>
>> FreeBSD has a preemptive scheduler and facilities for allowing
>> realtime privlleges for processes. Are you sure you're not
>> confusing it with one of the other *BSDs?
>
>And, just to note: there are valid use cases for running jack without
>low latency demands. As a matter of fact, unless you do realtime
>(i.e. on-stage) audio processing/manipulation there's no need for
>low latency. Actually, it' s a pretty good idea to increase buffer
>sizes (read: high latency) when doing recordings.

To idiotic high values, that long that playing out the buffer could be
considered to be annoying?

This is the context you seem to ignore:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 17:35:33 -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>I think the original message said that jackd kept playing old audio.
>If it was just jack playing out the buffers with old data I would
>expect at most maybe 30 ms of audio (e.g. 512 samples per period, 3
>periods, 48k samples/second) which would not really be recognizable
>audio.

Wouldn't it be around 15 ms, since 30 ms would be round-trip latency?

To get something audible of e.g. annoying long 128 ms you need 4096
frames, 3 periods, 48k sample rate. 128 ms are 1/16 note at 117 BPM.

And assuming I should be mistaken, than it would be 256 ms, 1/8 note at
117 BPM.

The OP does use that long latency, if playing out the buffer should be
that long audible, or the issue is not related to playing out the
buffer.

Regards,
Ralf

PS:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:25:03 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>FreeBSD has a preemptive scheduler and facilities for allowing
>realtime privlleges for processes. Are you sure you're not
>confusing it with one of the other *BSDs?

I installed FreeBSD because it has got a driver for the RME HDSPe AIO.