[Jack-Devel] ?==?utf-8?q? Jack server keeps playing sound after client disconnetcs

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Aug 25 16:56:56 CEST 2017

On Fri, August 25, 2017 9:05 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> To get something audible of e.g. annoying long 128 ms you need 4096
> frames, 3 periods, 48k sample rate. 128 ms are 1/16 note at 117 BPM.

If jackd had a bug that caused it to continue playing buffers even when
the client stopped processing (not confirmed, I think that is not very
likely), but if that occured, even a very short buffer replayed
continuously would make a very annoying buzzing noise from repeatedly
playing the same samples.

Given the  information from Ralf Mattes it seems more likely that the
sclang program that was stopped stopped providing data, but the scserver
process kept processing the buffers, so from the jackd perspective the
client was still active.
I may try to replicate this weekend, but may be a little difficult, I
changed my machine to Fedora 26, but SuperCollider is from the CCRMA
repositories, and Fernando is still on summer holiday, so there is no
Planet CCRMA for Fedora 26 yet.  Maybe F25 packages will still work, I
will try.

--
Chris Caudle