[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Jul 9 12:41:44 CEST 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 12:58:55 +0300, alex wrote:
>>I do need it cause I can't get audio without dropouts neither with
>>ALSA nor with PortAudio on my Odroid.
>
> Too funny, since you actually try to use the ALSA backend ;).

Shrug.  Jackd does not offer backends of its own.  Its point is that it
puts the real-time critical part of audio processing into a separate
process so that it can be better prioritized (as well as developed and
optimized) than something running in the same process and address space
as a large audio processing application.

So it's not really all that surprising that some backend works better
with jackd in the middle than using it directly.  If it were, Jack would
be sort-of pointless compared to something like alsalib.

--
David Kastrup