[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 9 12:47:47 CEST 2017

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 12:41:44 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>So it's not really all that surprising that some backend works better
>with jackd in the middle than using it directly.  If it were, Jack
>would be sort-of pointless compared to something like alsalib.

Actually Ardour gives a choice to use ALSA or jackd, while my RME card
only could be used choosing jackd, since choosing ALSA doesn't work at
all.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ arecord -l | grep RME
card 0: HDSPMx579bcc [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]

However, jackd would _not_ be pointless.

The question

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 23:49:41 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>do you actually *need* jack

is a valid question, even if ALSA should work without any issues, since
jackd allows to connect individual apps when not using an all in one
approach.

Regards,
Ralf

--