[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 13:26:55 CEST 2017

On 07/09/2017 02:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 13:55:26 +0300, alex wrote:
>> Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
>> Release:    14.04
>> Codename:    trusty
> This is a very good information :).
>
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers .
>
> You are _not_ using systemd, or a hybrid. You are using upstart, IOW
> init scripts.
>
> So _unfortunately_ you could ignore Hermann's suggestion to use a
> systemd unit.
So, I should replace (not that I've tried already) Hermann's suggestion
with the following:

description "Job that runs the foo daemon"

# start in normal runlevels when disks are mounted and networking is available
start on runlevel [2345]

# stop on shutdown/halt, single-user mode and reboot
stop on runlevel [016]

env statedir=/var/cache/foo

# create a directory needed by the daemon
pre-start exec mkdir -p "$statedir"

exec /usr/bin/foo-daemon --arg1 "hello world" --statedir "$statedir"

Taken from the link you provided, right? This example is for a
/etc/init/foo.conf file. Should I create a /etc/init/jackd.conf file? If
so, I guess I should change some stuff, like the last two lines. But
what should I put there instead?

> Again, troubleshooting should be done by redirecting messages to a log
> file + taking into account what Neil mentions, assuming you should try
> with ALSA instead of jackd.
-rt is the default behavior in Pd, if I'm not mistaken. Never-the-less I
tried to launch it with this flag and ALSA but I still get dropouts.

> However, I don't understand why you do not get a log file :(.
I'll try again. I tried to add 'jack_wait -w' to my script, and again
running manually works fine, but on boot jack_wait waits for ever and
jack never starts.