[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

alex adrcki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 13:37:56 CEST 2017

On 07/09/2017 02:26 PM, alex wrote:

> On 07/09/2017 02:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 13:55:26 +0300, alex wrote:
>>> Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
>>> Release:    14.04
>>> Codename:    trusty
>> This is a very good information :).
>>
>> Seehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers  .
>>
>> You are _not_ using systemd, or a hybrid. You are using upstart, IOW
>> init scripts.
>>
>> So _unfortunately_ you could ignore Hermann's suggestion to use a
>> systemd unit.
> So, I should replace (not that I've tried already) Hermann's
> suggestion with the following:
> description "Job that runs the foo daemon"
>
> # start in normal runlevels when disks are mounted and networking is available
> start on runlevel [2345]
>
> # stop on shutdown/halt, single-user mode and reboot
> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> env statedir=/var/cache/foo
>
> # create a directory needed by the daemon
> pre-start exec mkdir -p "$statedir"
>
> exec /usr/bin/foo-daemon --arg1 "hello world" --statedir "$statedir"
> Taken from the link you provided, right? This example is for a
> /etc/init/foo.conf file. Should I create a /etc/init/jackd.conf file?
> If so, I guess I should change some stuff, like the last two lines.
> But what should I put there instead?
>> Again, troubleshooting should be done by redirecting messages to a log
>> file + taking into account what Neil mentions, assuming you should try
>> with ALSA instead of jackd.
> -rt is the default behavior in Pd, if I'm not mistaken. Never-the-less
> I tried to launch it with this flag and ALSA but I still get dropouts.
>> However, I don't understand why you do not get a log file :(.
> I'll try again. I tried to add 'jack_wait -w' to my script, and again
> running manually works fine, but on boot jack_wait waits for ever and
> jack never starts.
jack_wait -w actually helped with creating a log file. Here's the output:

jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to
autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY$

Audio device hw:1 cannot be acquired...
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server

Even if I change hw:1 to hw:USB I get the same with:
Audio device hw:USB cannot be acquired...

Is there a chance that jack starts before the system sees the USB sound
card? Should I put a 'sleep 10' before launching jack in the script?