[Jack-Devel] Jack won't start on boot

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Sun Jul 9 16:04:10 CEST 2017

On Sun, July 9, 2017 13:37, alex wrote:
>> I'll try again. I tried to add 'jack_wait -w' to my script, and again
>> running manually works fine, but on boot jack_wait waits for ever and
>> jack never starts.
> jack_wait -w actually helped with creating a log file. Here's the output:
>

> jackdmp 1.9.10 Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file
> COPYING for details
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to
> autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY$
>
> Audio device hw:1 cannot be acquired...
> Cannot initialize driver
> JackServer::Open failed with -1
> Failed to open server

The following seems to happen: when you start jackd manually, you already
have a graphical environment providing $DISPLAY which is again used by
dbus.
When you start jackd during boot, it will fail if there is no graphical
environment started yet.

Many distros have stock jackd that expects dbus which again is relatively
tightly bound to the desktop.

You can try these things:
-compile jackd without dbus support (if you don't need it for your app)
-start jackd with a startup mechanism that's run by your graphical
environment (after it's ready and $DISPLAY is set)

Hope that helps,
Thomas