[Jack-Devel] Considering JamRouter, a low-jitter MIDI bridge for all Jack versions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 12 19:45:04 CEST 2017

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 00:54:46 -0700 (MST), Carlo Capocasa wrote:
>> To reduce MIDI jitter for apps such as .e.g Qtractor, jack2 provides
>> the "-X alsarawmidi" option sine many years and in the meantime
>> jack1 got something similar, too.
>
>What confuses me is that the Ardour manual recommends a2jmidid for all
>jack versions except recent jack1.
>
>This could of course be a case of "NIH". I suppose we are going to
>need some numbers.

Hi,

a while ago I used "-Xalsarawmidi" together with "a2jmidid". I can't say
what I will use in the future. I had no time to use much MIDI with my
latest mobo. However, at least a while ago -Xalsarawmidi didn't replace
a2jmidid, by my scripts both were used.

I just played a little bit and let Ardour do everything instead of using
a script. Seemingly Ardour did not start a2jmidid, but seemingly has
written this:

$ cat ~/.jackdrc
/usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -X alsarawmidi -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 128 -d hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0 -X alsarawmidi

Regards,
Ralf
--
Vote for apulse!