[Jack-Devel] Considering JamRouter, a low-jitter MIDI bridge for all Jack versions

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 20:10:32 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 00:54:46 -0700 (MST), Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> >> To reduce MIDI jitter for apps such as .e.g Qtractor, jack2 provides
> >> the "-X alsarawmidi" option sine many years and in the meantime
> >> jack1 got something similar, too.
> >
> >What confuses me is that the Ardour manual recommends a2jmidid for all
> >jack versions except recent jack1.
> >
> >This could of course be a case of "NIH". I suppose we are going to
> >need some numbers.
>
> Hi,
>
> a while ago I used "-Xalsarawmidi" together with "a2jmidid". I can't say
> what I will use in the future. I had no time to use much MIDI with my
> latest mobo. However, at least a while ago -Xalsarawmidi didn't replace
> a2jmidid, by my scripts both were used.
>
> I just played a little bit and let Ardour do everything instead of using
> a script. Seemingly Ardour did not start a2jmidid, but seemingly has
> written this:
>
> $ cat ~/.jackdrc
> /usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -X alsarawmidi -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100
> -p 128 -d hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0 -X alsarawmidi

Good catch. In my experience, Ardour's manual isn't always up-to-date.
NIH is definitely not something I think of about when Ardour is mentioned.
It has always used lots of 3rd party libraries, bleeding edge very often.
Besides, Paul Davis is a very experienced programmer who I have
very much trouble seeing as a person who would re-implement something
unnecessarily.