[Jack-Devel] Considering JamRouter, a low-jitter MIDI bridge for all Jack versions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 14 18:35:53 CEST 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:43:50 -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>On Thu, July 13, 2017 2:04 pm, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
>> From your answer and the other information in this thread I am
>> drawing a tentative conclusion that JamRouter has not been evaluated
>> yet by the Jack community, most likely because it is a late
>> arrival[1], there is an existing solution, and the likely presence
>> of other pressing issues.
>
>I think you cannot dismiss lack of promotion also.  Until JamRouter was
>mentioned on this mailing list, I do not remember hearing of it before,
>and I try to at least briefly read all messages to linux audio users
>and jack-devel lists.  If the JamRouter author posted a message
>describing JamRouter to either of those lists I do not remember seeing
>it.  No one will evaluate new software if no one hears of the new
>software.

+1

Let alone that in the past we seemingly noticed that I was the most
nitpicking person regarding MIDI jitter ;), since I'm used to C64 with
click sync to tape and Atari ST synced via SMPTE to tape, programming
for the C64 myself in Assembler.

I'm sceptic regarding the "sample accurate" sync.

For the C64 computer we programmed directly using the hardware without
layers and by turning of maskable interrupts using the SEI command of
the 65xx chips.

For PCs this is much more trick and has got much to do with good luck
regarding the used hardware.

IMO phasex is one of the best sounding virtual synth available for
Linux, but it was provided for a very long time with a 0 Hz bug ;).
DC offsets aren't fun. It wasn't a minor bug.