[Jack-Devel] Considering JamRouter, a low-jitter MIDI bridge for all Jack versions

Carlo Capocasa carlo at capocasa.net
Sat Jul 15 17:32:25 CEST 2017

>Let alone that in the past we seemingly noticed that I was the most
>nitpicking person regarding MIDI jitter ;),since I'm used to C64 with
>click sync to tape and Atari ST synced via SMPTE to tape, programming
>for the C64 myself in Assembler.

Oh that's just perfect it would appear that you're exactly who I was looking
for.

So in your opinion, JamRouter may or may not live up to its claims, at least
when not using an exact replica of the author's setup, and may be prone to
unexpected behavior. I already noticed that- I had to remove some signal
handlers that aren't usually listened for on posix to get it to launch.
Glancing at the codebase, while it's not terrible, I don't really see the
author wasting a lot of time debating the finer points of scoping.

If it's not too much trouble, I have an old school Hammerfall hooked up to a
W530- could you kindly use your clout as nitpicker-in-chief to define
approximately what kind of data and how much of it would satisfy you to make
a reliable initial jitter comparison benchmark of, say, current jack1 and
JamRouter?

Would this do?

https://github.com/koppi/alsa-midi-latency-test

If you already have your preferred command-line switches for your favorite
test program handy, all the better.

Now, I will get off your lawn.

Carlo