[Jack-Devel] Failures in connecting mac OSX Sierra and an embedded board with linux via netjack2

Tue May 2 15:11:02 CEST 2017

Dear Chris,
many thanks for all your info and suggestions. For the moment I want to
test netjack2, I will definitively try the zita bridge asap.

Regarding your questions, I have never truncated the commands outputs.

Firstly, the -Cno -Pyes commands remove the warning "Default input and
output devices are not the same !!", while having only -P does not.
I have specified the parameters for coreaudio. I did various trials, I
report the outputs below.

TRIAL 1 ----------------------------------------------------
On the master (Mac computer)

sh-3.2# jackd -P 70 -p96 -t 2000 -dcoreaudio  -s -r48000 -p128 -n2 -Cno
-Pyes
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 70
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Separated input = 'Built-in Microphone'
Separated output = 'Built-in Output'
Clock drift compensation was asked but is not needed (devices use the same
clock domain)
Ignore incorrect channel mapping value = 2
Input channel = 0 ==> JACK input port = 0
Input channel = 1 ==> JACK input port = 1
JACK output port = 0 ==> output channel = 0
JACK output port = 1 ==> output channel = 1
DeviceNotificationCallback kAudioDeviceProcessorOverload
CoreAudio driver is running...
Starting Jack NetManager
Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'
Takes physical 2 audio output(s) for slave
Takes physical 0 MIDI input(s) for slave
Takes physical 0 MIDI output(s) for slave
Sending parameters to ...
Floating point exception: 8

On the slave (the linux odroid board):

> jackd -R -d net
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with ucas-MacBook-Pro-9.local...
Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_769
Can't allocate ports.
Initing net driver fails...

TRIAL 2 ----------------------------------------------------

[...]

Can't set net buffer sizes : Invalid argument
SetParams error...
Can't init new NetMaster...
Waiting for a slave...

On the slave (the linux odroid board):

> jackd -R -d net -a 225.3.19.154 -p 19000 -C 0 -P 2 -i 0 -o 0
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with ucas-MacBook-Pro-9.local...
Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_767
Can't allocate ports.
Initing net driver fails...

TRIAL 3----------------------------------------------------

On the master (Mac computer)

jack_load netmanager -i "-h" gives:

Internal client parameters:
-a, --multicast-ip Multicast address (default: 225.3.19.154)
-p, --udp-net-port UDP port (default: 19000)
-c, --auto-connect Auto connect netmaster to system ports (default: false)
-s, --auto-save Save/restore netmaster connection state when restarted
(default: false)

Therefore I typed: jack_load netmanager -i "-c true"
netmanager is running.
client name = netmanager

The result does not change....

sh-3.2# jackd -P 70 -p96 -t 2000 -dcoreaudio  -s -r48000 -p128 -n2 -Cno
-Pyes
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 70
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Separated input = 'Built-in Microphone'
Separated output = 'Built-in Output'
Clock drift compensation was asked but is not needed (devices use the same
clock domain)
Ignore incorrect channel mapping value = 2
Input channel = 0 ==> JACK input port = 0
Input channel = 1 ==> JACK input port = 1
JACK output port = 0 ==> output channel = 0
JACK output port = 1 ==> output channel = 1
CoreAudio driver is running...
Starting Jack NetManager
Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'
Sending parameters to ...
Can't set net buffer sizes : Invalid argument
SetParams error...
Can't init new NetMaster...
Waiting for a slave...

On the slave (the linux odroid board):

> jackd -R -d net -a 225.3.19.154 -p 19000 -C 0 -P 2 -i 0 -o 0
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with ucas-MacBook-Pro-9.local...
Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_767
Can't allocate ports.
Initing net driver fails...

TRIAL 4 ----------------------------------------------------

I used a different buffer size 1024 and with or without specifying the
maximum number of port of jackd

jackd -P 70  -t 2000 -dcoreaudio  -s -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Cno -Pyes

jackd -P 70  -p96  -t 2000 -dcoreaudio  -s -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -Cno -Pyes

The result are the same of before.,...

TRIAL 5 ----------------------------------------------------

Notably if I just us:  jackd -R -d net  or  jackd -R -d net -a 225.3.19.154
-p 19000 or

the crashing error "Floating point exception: 8" arises, while it does not
specifying jackd -R -d net -a 225.3.19.154 -p 19000 -C 0 -P 2  (see TRIAL
6) :

> [...]

SetParams error...
Can't init new NetMaster...
Waiting for a slave...

On the slave (the linux odroid board):

> jackd -R -d net -a 225.3.19.154 -p 19000 -C 0 -P 2
jackdmp 1.9.11
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2015 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
NetDriver started in async mode without Master's transport sync.
Waiting for a master...
Initializing connection with ucas-MacBook-Pro-9.local...
Maximum number of input ports is reached for application ref = 0
driver: cannot register port for system:midi_playback_767

Still the problems persists. I can't proceed... Any further suggestion to
make work the two jackified units?

Cheers