[Jack-Devel] How does --hwmon work?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat May 6 14:31:57 CEST 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sat, 06 May 2017 13:08:03 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>Sure, and professionals don't use Ardour or GNU/Linux (or Windows 10)
>>either but custom hardware and systems.
>>
>>But this is "jack-devel" so it does not matter what "professionals" do
>>but rather what users of Jack do.
>
> Hi,
>
> in regards to hardware monitoring there shouldn't be a big difference
> between professionals, semi-professionals and amateurs. Most important
> is the purpose, not the level of profession.
>
>>And because different people have different needs, flexibility is a bad
>>idea?
>>
>>I don't buy it.
>
> What you want is as useful as a flying car.

If access to hardware mixers were as useful as a flying car, one has to
wonder why the ALSA programmers bothered providing it for a lot of
cards.

At any rate, your point of "nobody should want that or talk about it" is
abundantly clear without all the flowery comparisons you make.

Putting together something for producing sound using Midi controllers
for controlling more than a single part of the sound setup is not
exactly outlandish.  That's what digital controllers are for in the
first place.

> Since you claim that Linux audio isn't for professionals,

You are the one who claims that Jackd should not be allowed to control
hardware monitoring because professionals use other hardware.

> Apart from "Frankensteining a Roland FR1b virtual accordion", we don't
> really know what you really want to do.

That's a single application I put together where it struck me as strange
that there seemed no ready application to do a rather mundane thing.

> Anyway, you now know what "--hwmon" does{,n't} provide

Not really.  I'll have to read the source code of Jack, the source code
of ALSA drivers, and the source code of Ardour (assuming that the "use
Audio Driver" option is either related to what I hoped what --hwmon
would do or to what it actually does) to figure stuff out because
nothing is actually documented or readily available knowledge.

What _is_ obvious is that nobody appears to be actively working on any
of what I was suspecting --hwmon to be useful for.

> and why there are tendencies to use hdspmixer, other audio interface's
> mixers and/or mixing consoles for hardware monitoring.

Because nobody bothered implementing stuff.  That's not the same as that
there would be no point to implementing it.

--
David Kastrup