[Jack-Devel] How does --hwmon work?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 7 10:22:04 CEST 2017

On Sun, 07 May 2017 08:35:22 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
>> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep RTIRQ_NAME_LIST /etc/conf.d/rtirq |
>> grep -v "#" RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="usb snd_hdsp snd_ice1"
>
>You probably have a PCI (or express) card rather than a Cardbus one?

Hi,

yes, it's a PCIe card mounted to a Tower's mobo.

>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>
>> Perhaps setting it to performance helps to reduce xruns
>
>I seem to remember that CPU switching speed with the Penryn is supposed
>to be close enough, but I admit that if it were instantaneous it would
>be indistinguishable from a power-saving halt state but full speed
>otherwise.  I think I had the system on performance for a while but it
>did not make a noticeable difference with regard to xruns.
>
>I'll keep it in mind.

You not necessarily need to chose "performance", you could also chose
another fixed frequency, lower than full speed. Sometimes it makes a
difference if CPU speed doesn't vary.

On Sun, 07 May 2017 08:42:20 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>Well, there is irq/16-snd_hdsp after all once I plug the Cardbus card
>in (it's usually out in the morning since the computer doesn't wake up
>successfully from suspend otherwise).  And it's prioritized well enough
>once I _rerun_ /etc/init.d/rtirq.  Otherwise it sticks at the bottom.

Restarting or stop and start etc. ...

  rtirq {[re]start|stop|reset|status|force-reload}

... doesn't work always. In my experiences it's better to reboot.

If you continue optimisation regarding real-time audio, consider to do
this at LAU, https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user ,
since jack-devel might not be the right mailing list and apart from
this on LAU usually is more traffic, so much likely more people could
give you hints.

Regards,
Ralf