[Jack-Devel] Using Jack in 10.10 and later?

Josh Junon i.am.qix at gmail.com
Fri May 19 23:28:08 CEST 2017

I was writing a project called CaptainJack that used macOS's new HAL audio
subsystem to do just this.

The problem is that the service that runs that is supposed to talk to JACK
has to run under a particular user, which is never the user that's running
the JACK daemon. JACK doesn't support multi-user setups, and the developers
refuse to make this an out of the box thing to support (
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack1/issues/52). Because of that, I
discontinued development on CaptainJack.

If they change their minds, I'll happily finish CaptainJack as I find a
use-case for it almost every week.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:42 PM Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> So has anyone gotten Jack to work as a default device in 10.10 or later?
>
> To repost, to make Jack work as an audio device for almost everything in
> 10.9.5 (and sadly, I can only say almost everything), I had to put this in
> /System/Library/Sandbox/Profiles/system.sb (goes at the end)
>
> ;;; local additions for Jack
>   (allow network*
>          (regex #"/private/tmp/jack_.*"))
>   (allow file-write*
>          (regex #"/private/tmp/jack_.*"))
>   (allow mach-lookup
>          (global-name-regex "jack_mach_sem.*"))
>   (allow ipc-sysv-sem)
>   (allow ipc-posix-shm-read*
>          (ipc-posix-name-regex "/jack-.*"))
>   (allow ipc-posix-shm-write*
>          (ipc-posix-name-regex "/jack-.*"))
>   (allow file-read*
>          (regex
> #"/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/JACK-insert.component.*"))
>
> Additionally, after logging in, and starting up Jack, I have to kill
> coreaudiod (for some reason, Jack has to be running for this to start up
> with Jack support), and then kill and restart Jack itself (otherwise it
> can't seem to register itself with the active coreaudiod).
>
> From what I understand of the 10.10 security system, editing that file
> needs to be in single user mode, not even as root in normal mode.

PGP signature: 03A0 B7D0 432E 1514
You may send me encrypted email using my key: https://keybase.io/qix/key.asc