[Jack-Devel] Bitrate from Jack or USB driver

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Dec 14 16:29:05 CET 2018

On 12/14/18 8:47 AM, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> I thought it was the last of my questions but I have two more, of this
> is the first mail.
>
> My presonus 1818vsl seemingly defaults to 44100 Hz never mind if you
> configure it to 96000Hz with the windows mixer.
> It seems as soon as you close down the windows based presonus audiobox
> software it defaults back to 44100Hz and soesnt keep it in memory when
> you use it on Linux.
>
> Questions:
> 1) I need to confirm the above.

I don't have this issue. The device works fine at 44.1k and 48k. I don't
use it at 96k.

I dimly recall users reporting various issues on Linux after using the
1717VSL on windows once, which resulted in a broken firmware update.
That was 2013-ish though. IIRC the solution was flashing the firmware.
That was reported on LAU or LAD.

If you still have access to a windows box, update the firmware as
described at
https://answers.presonus.com/17746/cannot-switch-samplerates-audiobox-1818vsl

> Is there any way jack can report the bitrate of the data it receives
> from usb driver
[..]

Probably not. Jack facilitates inter-application communication in
userspace. Hardware I/O on Linux happens at lower level.

you can try  https://community.ardour.org/files/adevices.sh which probes
/proc/asound/

Cheers!
robin