[Jack-Devel] Usage feasibility Q

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sun Jan 28 00:24:12 CET 2018

On Sat, January 27, 2018 4:34 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 01/27/2018 09:55 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> Context switches are only a few microseconds.
>
> Certainly the right ballpark, but it depends. It could easily be a few
> hundred microseconds

OK, then "few microseconds" would be the lower bound.
I just ran that benchmark you pointed out, and on this circa 5 year old
x86 processor context switches between processes are 8 microseconds
without CPU affinity, 5 microseconds with CPU affinity.  I'm not going to
worry about it for most things I deal with.

--
Chris Caudle