[Jack-Devel] How to profile jack cpu load?

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Sat Jul 14 21:21:25 CEST 2018

On 07/14/2018 02:47 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Sat, July 14, 2018 11:52 am, Tim wrote:
>> Two versions of Jack can happily coexist - one in /usr
>>    and one in /usr/local.
>
> Paul always warned strongly against that.  How do you make sure the one in
> usr is not used?

It should be automatic.
All user-built software is usually installed in /usr/local.
Most systems automatically look in /usr/local/bin FIRST
  before /usr/bin when you type an un-pathed program name

This makes it very easy to run your own builds of software while
  NOT disturbing the packaging system's installed versions in any way.

I routinely run my built versions of jack-1 or jack-2 installed in
  /usr/local, all while my distro's jack-2 package installation sits
  undisturbed in /usr. When I want to go back to the packaged version,
  I simply uninstall my built version, that MUST be done, to go back.

This is how I helped debug jack-1 and jack-2 at the same time.

Cheers.
Tim.