[Jack-Devel] Linux Distro with Least problems with Jack

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Nov 30 05:48:56 CET 2018

On 11/30/2018 05:34 AM, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> I am ditching my windows audio production workstation and need to get
> the Linux software under my belt. Cant work with the crashorama and
> closed nature of windows anymore. It bytes always in the end.

Welcome aboard!

> I therefore have to master Jack asap as it is crucial to the software I
> will use (Mixbus by Harrison).

Mixbus runs just fine without JACK. You only need jackd if you want to
route audio/midi between applications (think rewire), or if you have a
firewire/1394 soundcard).

In general we recommend to just use Mixbus/ALSA, that's a lot easier to
get started with and switch to jack only if you want to or need to.

> Questions
>
> 1) Please suggest a Linux distro that you have found works best with the
> current newest Jack release

AVLinux or KXStudio

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

> 2) Please give me the best known in-depth tutorial on Jack that will get
> me up and running.

http://libremusicproduction.com/workflow

Then again, AVLinux and KXStudio both have all this pre-configured.
AVLinux also comes with an exhaustive manual:
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf

> 3) Please suggest the best to your experience  visual connection
> interface application that works with jack, e.g. qjackctl etc etc.

That is mostly personal taste.

Cheers!
robin