[Jack-Devel] AVB Backend

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Fri Apr 12 20:10:18 CEST 2019

On 2019-04-11 22:44, Christoph Kuhr wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I wanted to start a discussion of what kind of AVB connectivity makes
> the most sense for jack.
> But please keep in mind what AVB is and isn't.
>
> a) Fully functional Backend
> b) Media Clock Backend with AVB jack clients

> I'm excited to hear your opinions!

Hi Chris,

first of all thanks for starting an AVB backend for jack!

My experience with AVB is unfortunately zero.

I understand how both a) and b) can be useful. Thinking in building
blocks, variant c) could be added to make jack the media clock talker (~
clock master on the network). IIUC b) and c) would cooperate nicely,
without the need for much "fatter" full avb stack a). C would clock Bs
or similar, in an AVB compliant way. The b) variant seems already useful
however I've no way to verify this.

Let's wait for others to join the discussion but keep in mind that not
everybody has the same level of insights which you gained by the work
done in the field. AVB was a topic in the past so chances are good there
are opinions :)

Greetings
Thomas