[Jack-Devel] MacOS support

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Tue Apr 16 17:31:36 CEST 2019

On 2018-03-25 19:41, Josh de Kock wrote:
> On 2018/02/01 13:59, Stefan Hellkvist wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> (Sorry this question has already been discussed but the search
>> function in the archive of the list does not work)
>>
>> Is anyone working on the problem of getting Jack up and running on
>> MacOS again? I installed Jack with brew but I get these “could not
>> handle

> I looked at this a year or so ago, but ended up concluding that it was
> too much work (for someone who had little to gain from it other than
> just interest). I concluded in the case of JackOSX it would require an
> almost full rewrite of the Router for modern macOS APIs. I could
> probably look into it again, if someone could convince me :)

Hi Josh, a late reply to your mail -

yes, indeed we need a router for modern macOS APIs. It would allow to
use (again) JackRouter as « Audio default device » to take full
advantage of jackd.

For reference this was discussed before in this thread
https://jackaudio.github.io/mailing_list_archive/index.html#1517493624.1212_0.ltw:2,

The "problem" with new Apple APIs for a router is described compact in
https://jackaudio.github.io/mailing_list_archive/mail/1517568080.2817_0.ltw:2,/index.html

What's needed to convince you to have a look? It's not a simple task and
eventually being able to compile it without a dependency on XCode
environment would be a bonus. Are you still in the loop?

Thanks,
Thomas