[Jack-Devel] Does alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject pops and clicks?

crocket crockabiscuit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 05:31:57 CEST 2019

If SPDIF Out stops emitting clock signals in the absence of audio signals,
would alsa_out working on the headphone jack of the USB soundcard that gets
its clock signals from SPDIF Out emit pops and clicks?
Basically, the plan is

1. ALSA dmix(period size 512, periods 3) --> SPDIF Out of onboard
soundcard(Realtek ALC887) --> SPDIF In of Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
USB --(alsa_in, period_size 512, periods 3)--> netjack1 ==(ethernet)==>
ALSA jack backend --> Amplifier --> Speakers
2. netjack1 --(alsa_out, period_size 512, periods 3)--> headphones

I have my own software for managing jack connections. A keyboard shortcut
can switch clients between speakers and headphones.