[Jack-Devel] Does alsa_in reading from SPDIF input inject pops and clicks?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Aug 9 16:07:55 CEST 2019

On Thu, August 8, 2019 10:31 pm, crocket wrote:
> If SPDIF Out stops emitting clock signals in the absence of audio signals,
> would alsa_out working on the headphone jack of the USB soundcard that
> gets its clock signals from SPDIF Out emit pops and clicks?

The USB audio interface is getting clock from the S/PDIF input, but the
audio is coming from USB, not from the S/PDIF input?
Can that configuration be set with the controls available for the Sound
Blaster device you mentioned?

> 1. ALSA dmix(period size 512, periods 3) --> SPDIF Out of onboard
> soundcard(Realtek ALC887) --> SPDIF In of Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD
> USB --(alsa_in, period_size 512, periods 3)--> netjack1 ==(ethernet)==>
> ALSA jack backend --> Amplifier --> Speakers
> 2. netjack1 --(alsa_out, period_size 512, periods 3)--> headphones

This description is a little bit confusing regarding where the machine
separations occur.

So the onboard sound card is on one computer, the Sound Blaster X-Fi is
connected to a second computer?  And that second computer drives speakers
via the X-Fi output, and is also connected via Ethernet to a third
computer?
It is not clear where the netjack connection comes in, for the connection
labeled  with a "2." it shows netjack to alsa-out, but it is not clear
which physical interface drives the headphones.

Perhaps a description of the physical connections of which computer is
connected to which interface would help, along with a description again of
what you are trying to achieve.   You probably described that before, but
I think it has been some number of weeks, I'm not sure I could find the
original email.

--
Chris Caudle