[Jack-Devel] AVB

Mon Feb 25 02:13:32 CET 2019

On 2/24/19 3:15 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:

>> I imagine that would not happen if you were to use their proprietary
>> driver instead of the class compliant driver.
>
> Wouldn't Apple equipment be using a class compliant driver?  Given how
> much of their business was traditionally to Apple users that seems very
> strange that they would have firmware that breaks class compliant use if
> it also broke usage on Mac OS and iOS. I guess Mac users only get the
> lower channel count firmware?  But that is the same firmware you say
> shifts the channels around, correct?

Motu provides downloads of proprietary drivers for both Mac and Windows.

I have not used either of those two "exotic" platforms, but I'm pretty
sure that when using their proprietary driver on a Mac you would have
access to 64 channels over USB2 if the sample rate is limited to 44.1
and 48 KHz. Again, on a Mac you would also be able to use thunderbolt
for machines that have that, and Motu interfaces that have that, and
that will give you 128 channels (proprietary driver again).

If using the class compliant drivers, you would be limited to 24
channels (with the newest firmware).

Don't know about the channel shifting.

In any case, I don't know what a Mac would do without the proprietary
driver, maybe its own class compliant drivers would be just fine with
the class compliant USB endpoints of the Motu interfaces. Maybe not.

-- Fernando