[Jack-Devel] advice on xruns

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jul 28 17:21:17 CEST 2019

On 7/28/19 5:08 PM, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> On 2019-07-28 08:15, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sun, 2019-07-28 at 07:26 -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
>> what have you already done?
>>

> I always used the realtime checkbox on cadence and was always suspicious
> of it.
> I went and read up on it and did.
> dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd
>
> Didnt expect it to make a difference but it did!

I'm actually surprised that Mixbus + jack started without jack rt
permissions.

> Is it preferable to set every process involved e.g. / USB system / alsa
> / mixbus at high priority.

Definitely not. Only the audio *treads* of the process should be
elevated. The processes themselves (GUI etc) should be lower priority in
order to not interfere with audio i/o.

The USB IRQ (kernel with threadirq) of the audio-device should be
elevated. On debian based systems install the "rtirq-init" package.

JACK's process callback (jackd -P config option) should have a slightly
lower priority than the IRQ.

ciao,
robin