[Jack-Devel] advice on xruns

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Sun Jul 28 17:26:13 CEST 2019

On 2019-07-28 08:03, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 7/28/19 1:26 PM, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
>> Thanks to all who participated. (Ralf Holger, Hermann)

> In Mixbus 5.X the x-run count is the number in the brackets after the
> DSP load. It is displayed top-right in the status-bar (right-click on
> the status bar to enable the display if it is hidden; shift+click to
> reset the count).
>
>> Latency free monitoring at last it seems and realtime playback sound.
>
> It's not latency free; just low latency 2 * 64 / 44.1kHz = 2.9ms ~
> about
> 1m of sound in air (similar distance of a guitar on lap to ear). There
> is likely some additional systemic latency, but still it's more than
> good enough for most.

Absolutely correct Robin, not latency free, just sensory and audibly
indistinguisable from latency free (that is why I included  "it seems"
with latency free in my statement..
I could have used better grammar.

I get 2-10 xruns in the brackets, when I just start up, probably while
starting jack etc.
After Mixbus is started and up, it stays at that value for hours as far
as I tested which is supernice.

There are no more clicks every minute or so. All gone.

I just wish I could work at 48000Hz. 1818VSL refuses to do it even
though it can do 96000. It is a stupid process of using windows
configurator software to set it to 48khz, but after I plug it into linux
all I get is 44100. Maybe I dont understand alsa correctly, because a
48kHZ jackd string doesnt work at 48kHz.

That will enable me to increase the buffer for the same latency and is
the quality I want to work at.