[Jack-Devel] List of jackd startup and named instance questions

David Nielson david at naptastic.com
Sun Mar 10 18:25:09 CET 2019

On Sat, 2019-03-09 at 22:48 +0100, Thomas Brand wrote:

> > For those who have done this, could you publish your configurations and
> > how you got there?
> >

> What is your usecase, where isn't it covered by "default" behavior?

Currently I have one host with two soundcards (on the motherboard + RME RayDAT) where the
SPDIF output on the motherboard goes into the RME card, providing signal plus sync.
PulseAudio only knows about the on-board audio, and JACK only knows about the RME card. So
my family (who aren't sysadmins) can play Netflix and Youtube, and adjust some faders to
make it play in different parts of the house. They don't have to think about the LV2
plugins providing an active crossover for the main sound system. :-)

Honestly I'm not sure what default means anymore; I've been doing this for so long and have
grown so accustomed to compiling everything from source. I've documented some of my setup
but I have no idea if it would actually help anyone else. It's not my best work.

https://wiki.naptastic.com/nndocs/lad

Please do feel free to email me directly with "ZOMFG YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG". This
configuration is starting to smell funny.

Eventually I intend to have a computer in every room with an audio interface attached, and
transport all audio over the network. The way my house is set up, I could theoretically
have three recording sessions going at the same time controlled from one room. I've got a
lot of work to do before I can even start on the networked audio part. My home network is a
dog's breakfast.

David