[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Fri Mar 22 08:06:07 CET 2019

The jack community must start doing something not to endorse qjackctl.
It creates way more trouble than it solves.

I just completely removed qjackctl and reinstalled jackd.
I still have problems but at least now without qjackctl, Mixbus at leat
starts jack, but there is no sound from my 181vsl detected. The 1818VSL
flawlessly works at least within its specs. I can use it on linux to
play through it with pulseaudio, but NOT with jack.

Mixbus starts Jack successfully it reports, and sees the 1818vsl.
I know mixbus really sees the 1818vsl since if I powercycle the 1818,
then I get a popup from mixbus that it lost the device.

The 1818vsl is connected to a keyboard through spdif and works  with
windows and Presonus's flakey software (until the wincrap crashes or
hangs) so I know that the keyboard/spdif/19818vsl,USB all work. No
hardware problems.

However JACK absolutely refuses to send or recieve data for Mixbus.
However choosing ALSA as driver in Mixbus gives the same result, 1818vsl
is recognized, but absolutely NO so0und to or from 181 to mixbus.

Since there is no way to find out how mixbus routes things, it is not
and probably never will be made clear to joe user like me, but since
both jack and alsa cannot work with mixbus and 1818vsl, I must guess
that Jack uses Alsa, and if alsa wont work with the 181vsl then jack
wont in principle either.

Before I completely uninstall alsa and reinstall I first want to find
out if jack is in error.

This setup worked great for a month on Linux before it borked itself.

I have sour suspicion that somehow systemd is at the source of these
problems, how I dont know, but systemd has been the culprit with several
of my other applications that turned awol the last month.

There must be a better way to manage the entire alsa/jack thing. It is a
real royal pain to figure out. Jack is great software with enormous
potential and get people maintaining it, but there must be a more
transparent way for joe user dealing with it.