[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

John Rigg jd at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 11:19:49 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 01:32:28AM -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> I totally agree with you.
> Jack is indispensable.
> Since you get it running with such impunity, why dont you write it up in
> a document from scratch how you get it up reliably and help us all
> understand what is needed.
> I for one will REALLY appreciate it.

It sounds like you're having some unusual problem with jackd.
I'm not sure it will help, but here's my procedure for using
jackd:

Use command line, not qjackctl. Eg. to start jackd with default
values:
jackd -d alsa

Or more explicitly:

jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2

The options are described in the jackd manpage.

Then start jack clients (usually non-session-manager here as I
use Non-DAW nowadays, but the same procedure used to work with
ardour2 and ardour3).

Once jackd is running you can check clients and manage
connections with a suitable connection manager, eg. patchage.
If you use Ardour, use its built in connection manager.

There's not a lot to write up. I don't know what's happening on
your system to prevent it working, but perhaps it could be a
system configuration problem. There's a good guide to setting
up a system for realtime audio on the Arch Linux wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio

John