[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:03:53 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM John Rigg <jd at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:53:06AM -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> > I can play keys and it is passed to the 1818vsl, however I have no
> > functional global volume controls as my keyboard mappings are not
> > recognized by jack or whatever now handles the mappings.
> > Its all raw maximum volume.
>
> Jack is analogous to a hardware patch bay. You need to
> connect something with a volume control to that patch
> bay if you want to control level.

Which wouldn't work very well because it would have to double up the
number of connections and constantly monitor the graph, which would
mess up all sorts of things.
It was discussed 15 years ago or so whetnhr the ports should have
volume control. Unfortunately, I think someone argued against it, for
some reason. A big mistake in my opinion. It shouldn't be hard to add
though...

Another fun project for jack would be to add a pulseaudio driver. It's
just so messy to keep these two systems working together, so a nice
solution would be for jack to simply output to pulseaudio.