[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Mar 26 15:08:01 CET 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:03:53 +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM John Rigg <jd at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
>>You need to connect something with a volume control to that patch
>> bay if you want to control level.
>>

>Which wouldn't work very well because it would have to double up the
>number of connections and constantly monitor the graph, which would
>mess up all sorts of things.

In what way does adding volume controls, mess up all sorts of things?
The patch bay of an anolog audio studio usually also doesn't provide
volume controls. Level controls are provided by musical instruments,
mixing consoles (per channel, per sub group, per aux channel, etc.)
and amplifiers etc., adding unneeded extra volume controls would mess
up the workflow. Don't get me wrong, a hardware mixer is a nice
feature, but if not available for class compliant USB audio
interfaces, volume control isn't an issue at all, even if the USB
audio interface shouldn't provide output volume controls by the
hardware. An issue more likely could be monitor routing. The less
features the sound server provides, the less could go wrong.

--
Roger's Guitar Solo - American Dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPT103UUDs