[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:36:58 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:03:53 +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM John Rigg <jd at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> >>You need to connect something with a volume control to that patch
> >> bay if you want to control level.
> >>

> >Which wouldn't work very well because it would have to double up the
> >number of connections and constantly monitor the graph, which would
> >mess up all sorts of things.
>
> In what way does adding volume controls, mess up all sorts of things?

I think of jack mixer programs. If you want to create a mixer that
wants to change the volume between a jack port connection,
you need to change the graph by inserting a clients between the existing ports.

> The patch bay of an anolog audio studio usually also doesn't provide
> volume controls. Level controls are provided by musical instruments,
> mixing consoles (per channel, per sub group, per aux channel, etc.)
> and amplifiers etc., adding unneeded extra volume controls would mess
> up the workflow. Don't get me wrong, a hardware mixer is a nice
> feature, but if not available for class compliant USB audio
> interfaces, volume control isn't an issue at all, even if the USB
> audio interface shouldn't provide output volume controls by the
> hardware. An issue more likely could be monitor routing.

Well, Jack is not an analog audio studio. Why should we artificially
limit the opportunities of the system?

> The less
> features the sound server provides, the less could go wrong.

Sorry, but that's not a valid argument. This is a very small feature.
Only one function is needed: "jack_port_set_volume" or something like
that,
and the modifications to jack would be very small and straight forward,
and the advantages could be enormous. A general jack mixer program
would be so useful in all sorts of situations.