[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

John Rigg jd at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 18:30:46 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:03:53PM +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM John Rigg <jd at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:53:06AM -0400, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> > > I can play keys and it is passed to the 1818vsl, however I have no
> > > functional global volume controls as my keyboard mappings are not
> > > recognized by jack or whatever now handles the mappings.
> > > Its all raw maximum volume.
> >
> > Jack is analogous to a hardware patch bay. You need to
> > connect something with a volume control to that patch
> > bay if you want to control level.
> >

> Which wouldn't work very well because it would have to double up the
> number of connections and constantly monitor the graph, which would
> mess up all sorts of things.

There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that if the OP
wants volume control on a stereo output he'll have to manually add
one using a plugin or standalone jack client that does that. It's
something I've been doing for years (and the purpose for which
zita-mu1 was designed). The additional pair of connections has
never caused me a problem. (Note that I'm talking about a single
stereo monitoring output here, not suggesting adding a plugin on
every hardware output).

My analogy with a hardware patch bay was purely to help the OP
visualise things, not an approval of arbitrary restrictions.

John