[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Mar 26 22:01:40 CET 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 05:30:46PM +0000, John Rigg wrote:

> > Which wouldn't work very well because it would have to double up the
> > number of connections and constantly monitor the graph, which would
> > mess up all sorts of things.
>
> There's a misunderstanding here. I was pointing out that if the OP
> wants volume control on a stereo output he'll have to manually add
> one using a plugin or standalone jack client that does that. It's
> something I've been doing for years (and the purpose for which
> zita-mu1 was designed). The additional pair of connections has
> never caused me a problem. (Note that I'm talking about a single
> stereo monitoring output here, not suggesting adding a plugin on
> every hardware output).

This is indeed the reason why I wrote zita-mu1, it provides
monitoring controls (including volume) independent of whatever
set of applications you are running.

Re: using Jack - today I had to demo some of the things I've
been working on to my boss^3 (i.e. the boss of my boss of my
boss). That meant three complex systems, in principle all
independent of each other but sharing some sources and each
of them had to be available instantly, and so everything was
running at the same time. One outputting via a Babyface Pro
(4 chan), one via an USBStreamer (8 chan), and one sending 32
channels via zita-j2n to a Windows machine. In total something
like 20 Jack applications, and more than 500 ports and connections.
All controlled by Python scripts of course, this would take an
hour to set up manually.

The VERY LAST thing I'd want in such a system is a gain control
on each Jack connection. One very big advantage of digital
connections, be they MADI, ADAT, Jack, or Dante, is that signal
levels at all inputs and outputs are exactly defined and can't
change. Setting up a a similar system using analog connections
with variable gains would be a real nightmare.

Just my 0.02 Euro of course,

--
FA