[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Mar 26 19:38:47 CET 2019

On Tue, March 26, 2019 1:12 pm, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
> Not my place to comment on this, but it will be very nice.

Just a note of mailing list tradition, replying on the top of the previous
email text makes following the conversation of multiple people (and
multiple mailing lists) very difficult.  If you would edit your reply to
include the author and specific comment to which you are replying it will
be very helpful.

> It is obviously what is needed.

I assume you are referring to this previous comment:

> On 2019-03-26 13:53, Thomas Brand wrote:
>> making pulse a backend like alsa and others.

That is a very bad idea for various reasons.  If you think it is super
useful then feel free to develop such a backend, or pay a contract
developer to do it for you, but the people who originally developed jackd
and the developers who currently maintain jackd as volunteers understand
the architecture of jackd and pulseaudio, and pulseaudio is a high latency
server which explicitly states that it will sometimes drop audio samples.
That is in no way what you want in an audio production environment.
The current jack-source and jack-sink modules are the appropriate way to
handle this situation, jackd is the low latency server and controls the
audio hardware, pulse becomes a client of jackd.

> In my humble opinion, get a robust way to let pulse send everything to
> jack.
> That way we can have all bluetooth and things desktop managed by pulse,
> which it does very well but send the pulse result to jack.

That exists as jack-source and jack-sink modules for pulseaudio.

> The pulse-jack-sync thing currently in use as an option doesnt really
> work.

I think specific examples of why you think it "doesn't really work" would
be more useful, as that does not match my experience at all.
To be fair, pulseaudio was much more difficult to deal with a few years
ago, and as you have now pointed out that you are using Debian as your
distribution, if you do not use an audio specific set of repositories you
may experience problems because of the really slow update cadence of
Debian (for example shipping a very old version of jackd).  If Debian is
as slow to update pulseaudio as they are to update jackd then I would not
be surprised if you hit problems that have been fixed for years already in
current versions.

--
Chris Caudle