[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Wed Mar 27 01:02:29 CET 2019

On 3/26/19 7:04 PM, Thomas Brand wrote:
> On Tue, March 26, 2019 23:45, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> And I am very sure that "most" of the people who understand how jackd
>> works and have the ability to modify the design think it is a bad idea, or
>>   someone would have done it already. The source code is available, if it
>> is such a good idea code up a prototype and see how it works out.
>
> Just a short note - we should be open for any kind of suggestions, with or
> without jack understanding. That said, I believe Kjetil is far beyond a
> jack user, so it's valuable to listen and discuss.
> Cheers

Hi, if I may comment, it's a nice concept and a logical reasonable
  proposal but I agree with others that in Jack it is not very useful
  and potentially harmful. Now Jack has to be a mixer.

1) It would not have solved the OP's problem at all, correct?
2) Refer to Fons' comments, if I may paraphrase, signal levels
     are best adjusted at the source if possible at an A/D converter,
     not somewhere down the digital line. Adjusting down the line
     introduces some digital error.

To that second point I would like to mention something I've been...
  musing about:

It would cool if Jack optionally delivered the pure unadulterated
  integer values from the various converters and drivers.
Be this awesome super router, AND do integer values just like ALSA.
Yes, I know there are problems, formats etc. but surely we could
  come up with a system. Although, if you ask for an unavailable
  format it means Jack would have to convert, but not expensive is it?

I am under the impression that one of the benefits of using say
  Ardour with ALSA instead of Jack is that it might allow
  working with the pure integer wave recordings for example.
Is that true? (Sorry can't test, package problems here.)
Am I nit-picking? Are there benefits? Somehow I don't trust
  floating point, as I've said before.

About mixers: I get why Pulse Audio Volume tray (and Windows)
  and the Pulse Audio configuration want to show just what's
  relevant for day-to-day operations. It works well.
But... to this day I still don't see any hardware volume controls
  when I click my PAV mixer icon or go into Configure Audio Volume,
  at least on my KDE distro.
I don't understand why they don't include KMixer or something,
  which last time I checked was fairly capable of listing ALL the
  ALSA controls on my ice1712 delta-1010. That's a lot of 'em.
Or why not integrate HW controls into Pulse?
I don't understand why they don't expose them since Pulse
  already works pretty close to hardware level, no?

Hey OP with 1818vsl: I see the device is supposed to work with ALSA.
If you have a desktop with a mixer icon, when you click it does
  it let you see those very volume controls that affected you?

No?

Cheers.
Tim.