[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Sunset Tech swansong.tech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 15:08:29 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 9:18 AM Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 2:10 PM Sunset Tech <swansong.tech at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> The point isn't that its' not that much trouble to do. The point is
> that it would be better if there was no trouble at all doing it. It
> would be better if there was a program running all the time, which
> didn't require work to start or set up, which was automatically
> started for instance by qjackctl, that you could switch to to adjust
> volume levels. Now

I'm fairly certain this is possible to rig up with some combination of jack
api scripting/session management and qjackctl settings
In my opinion, I feel I would rather not have a singular place to manage
the input volumes of every port. Looking at pavucontrol already feels
cluttered with a small number of devices, looking at patchmatrix with its
mixers also feels cluttered, I dont like seeing every volume control at
once, and would prefer them to stay attached to their respective GUIs.
 and I would want to at minimum adjust stereo/surround collections of ports
with single controls. Which means jack would need to know these are
stereo/surround collections, adding API complexity and compatibility
updates. And then this calls into question issues of panning.
Additionally
y as someone noted, you need temp buffers per output per adjusted control.
and if truly there can be no performance hit for an unadjusted control,
this is perhaps not so bad, but both scenarios could put some fraction of
users into maintaining their own build of jack, either to turn it on or off.

> you have to do all sorts of things, so instead you
> normally just reach for alsamixer or a physical volume control if you

Cant you in a lot of cases use amixer to adjust the volume for the
interface? I admit I havent looked at this on my own machines.