[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Sunset Tech swansong.tech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:19:57 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 AM Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Clutterered or not, this functionality is something
> pulseaudio/windows/osx all provide, but not jack. Is jack better
> because it doesn't provide this? No, it's worse. Granted, a properly

But JACK is not trying to be and arguably should not be like pulseaudio.
And I argue that that it is better off trying to force every client to
carry their own volume controls.

> made mix-master client seems like a better solution, actually a much

I agree with this

> better solution, but a mix-master client requires that all clients
> autoconnect to the mix-master and not to the physical output ports.
> This can of course be hacked by monitoring the clients and so forth,
> but that would also be a hack that guaranteed would create
> frustrations, so first of all jack needs functionalities for providing
> default ports for the clients to connect to, and then all clients need
> to support connecting to the default ports.

I have rigged up a system which allows me to autoconnect sets of ports, a
user could use this behind some gui to select the ports of clients to
connect to the master mix via some scheme, perhaps disconnect them from the
main outputs if necessary. perhaps even signal the master mixer to create
new ports if you wished

> Probably not. You would need many many thousands of jack ports, or run
> some kind of tiny embedded device, for the memory usage to be of any
> size anyone would care about. Most people probably have no more than
> around 20 custom ports + sound card ports at any time.

I can start my studio template project in ardour and that brings me up to
36 jack outputs, and thats just various buses.

> Well, you would normally use alsamixer instead of amixer.

Thats a fair point haha. but it seems to me like if a master mixer before
the physical output is the ideal, then alsamixer already provides this.