[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:58:13 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 5:54 PM Thomas Brand <tom at trellis.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, March 27, 2019 17:35, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> >> No, it's decidedly better IMO. Complexity isn't always an improvement.
> >>
> > This should be considered an essential feature expected to be there.
> > Do you think the windows/pulseaudio/osx peple don't know what they are
> > doing? Do you think Fons' zita-mu1 program is not an improvement?
> >

> Thinking out loud .. we could ship a tool / example client with jack that
> is similar to alsamixer but for jack. A simple command line tool (no GUI
> issues) with a configurable number of ports, eventually it could even
> catch all connections to system:playback if requested.

Yes, that is the natural hacky solution to this problem. But it's not
the best solution, the best solution would be if jack could provide
default output ports to clients that requested them. Monitoring ports,
like I do in jack_capture, is messy, doesn't update immediately, and
doesn't always work.

> Eg. the program jack_capture (which i think is one of the best recorders)

Thank you. :-)