[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Wed Mar 27 18:51:37 CET 2019

Am Mi., 27. März 2019 um 17:35 Uhr schrieb Kjetil Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>:

> This should be considered an essential feature expected to be there.

Why? I really do not understand it and personally I never missed that
feature in ~ 10 years of using Jack with soundcards with and without
volume controls.
What are the Jack clients you're using that don't have their own
volume controls? How would "that feature" help your work flow?

Moreover, this very discussion doesn't seem to support your claim that
"this should be considered an essential feature expected to be there",
to be honest ;-)

> Do you think the windows/pulseaudio/osx peple don't know what they are
> doing?

Hmm, I can't make much sense of this statement as Windows and OS X are
operating systems, while Jack and Pulseaudio are not. If Pulseaudio
does what you want then so does Linux. Just not Jack. Then why don't
you just use Pulseaudio? Maybe because Jack offers something that
Pulseaudio does not provide?

BTW, just out of curiosity, does ASIO provide what you want? IIRC it
doesn't but I might easily be wrong.
Does CoreAudio really provide what you're looking for? I'm not sure on
that either after some quick googling.

> > > Most people probably have no more than
> > > around 20 custom ports + sound card ports at any time.

I don't consider my projects to be complex in any way. But even a
simple Ardour session will generate much more than 20 ports as Ardour
already creates 10 ports for an empty project ;-) Any additional audio
track will add at least 3 ports, stereo track will generate 4 ports.
For instance, the really simple project I'm currently working with
sports 138 Ardour ports, 20 Hydrogen ports and 36 sound card ports.

Kind regards,
Felix