[Jack-Devel] jackd and volume control

Holger Marzen holger at marzen.de
Thu Mar 28 21:58:34 CET 2019

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:55 PM Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 27.03.2019 19:22, Holger Marzen wrote:
> > > As far as I understood there are 3 opinions:
> > >
> > > 1.) Don't change anything
> > > 2.) Add some API-calls to control the volume of every port
> > > 3.) Add an API-call to control the volume of system:playback_*
> >
> > As the current jack maintainer I can already give you the heads up.
> > It is option 1, no such API is going to be added, ever.
> >

> So, what do you think is wrong with number 2? It's a simple
> modification to jack that might give a lot of benefit. Also, it would

Lots of processing and copying data. This should be done within clients
or with a mixer application.

> certainly solve problem that it's impossible to create a client mixer
> for jack now. Pulsaudio/window/osx has it, it's a very natural tool to

jack_mixer exist. It can be configured for as many inputs as you need
and act as a fixed, always available output port where recording
applications can connect. You need some help from jack-plumbing, though.

> expect. And what are your opinion about functions for providing
> default output ports? That would also solve the client mixer problem.

I think the decision has been taken with avoiding any more complexity in
jack in mind. It's ok for me.