[Jack-Devel] jackd and volume control

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Fri Mar 29 01:04:22 CET 2019

On Thu, March 28, 2019 23:40, Tobias Hoffmann wrote:
> So, my hope is still for (much) better and standardized high-level
> graph-management. And with that in place, the GUI, that any gain-control
> would somehow need, would easily be able to insert itself into the
> relevant connections and do the mixdown (without having to add more dsp
> stuff into jack).

re "insert itself into the relevant connections"

I guess this could be something useful for tapping into the graph at any
point.

It would be ideal if inserting a tap could be assured to be single-cycle
transaction without an audible effect. As an example:

port a ------------> port b    1) situation at beginning

        tap client             2) start tap client

         __________
        /          \           3) (port a and port b still connected)
port a ->tap client port b     connect port a to tap client in

port a ->tap client->port b    4) connect tap client out to port b
                               AND disconnect port a -> port b connection

My question is whether this can happen without any discontinuity in the
signal received on port b. Thinking about it, why not try with a small
test program.. Insights are welcome.

While we're at it, here's another thing related to individual gain.

There is a class of jack clients that are very simplistic and often work
in concert with other clients, all orchestrated by what jack has to offer.

For such clients, it could be interesting to basically "request" to get a
channel strip on the default mixer, and get connected there. Such client
(or external tool) will indicate that via meta-data.

The (exchangeable) main mixer will look for clients that want some higher
level tool handle their *connection*, eg. towards an amp and become a
channel on the mixer. It's a bit semantic along "i'm a testtone, please
connect me as a mono input to the next best available mixer in jack". This
would already be possible but semantics are missing (all meta-data stuff).

It's all about connections :i)

Greetings
Thomas