[Jack-Devel] Jack/USB cycle of USB output Sound device.

Anders Genell anders.genell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 07:40:39 CET 2019

> 30 mars 2019 kl. 04:45 skrev liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com:
>
> So Jack routes from Alsa and Alsa handles the USB 1818VSl directly.
>
> Problem:
> If I plug out the 1818vsl (my main sound card) usb plug, then jack disconnects although it is not directly handling the usb device but alsa is.

Well, if the sound card disappears, Jack has nothing to keep connections to, so that is not unexpected.

> If I reconnect jack does not reconnect, so I have to go then through my startup script and restart jack after which it all works again.
>
> Question
> Is there a daemon available that monitors the usb device 1818vsl in my case and then reconnects if the device is unplugged and replugged ?

There is the udev daemon that could be useful, perhaps?
Some inspiration could be found here, maybe: https://alsa.opensrc.org/Udev

> If not, I will have to write such daemon for my own purposes and it is no sweat doing it, but just wondered if I am maybe missing  that someone already done it as it is a blatantly obvious missing piece. I ask as I dont want to reinvent the wheel if it already exists.

I understand you avoid qjackctl, otherwise you could perhaps use it to save your patching and recall it when the card is reconnected. Maybe using udev and jack_plumbing you could achieve something similar?

I am by no means a jack expert so please don’t take my word for this being a good solution. Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Regards,
Anders