[Jack-Devel] Is there a way to force Jack to use 32-bit audio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Sep 25 18:44:47 CEST 2019

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:16:54 -0700 (MST), lowkeyoutlaw wrote:
>I really dig the fact that it's impossible to clip 32 bit, basically.
>What would be a ruined recording in 24 bit, I can just volume automate
>or compress. It sucks to lose a hot take due to one loud rouge sound.

You are a bit off track, 32-bit float doesn't help you, if you are
doing bad audio engineering. When recording the analog, as well as the
digital domain require sane headroom in the first place. It's "float"
that helps to prevent against clipping by your computer software's
processing, but A/D conversion is "integer". Even floating point is
tricky, the DAW might work with floating point, but a plugin used by
the DAW not necessarily preserves the floating point advantage.

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives