[Jack-Devel] Is there a way to force Jack to use 32-bit audio?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Sep 25 19:59:25 CEST 2019

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:16:54AM -0700, lowkeyoutlaw wrote:

> My audio interface defaults to 32 bit.

That doesn't mean you get 32 valid bits. Most probably you get 24 and
8 zeros, and if you really get 32 the lower 10 or so are completely
useless. You are confusing the format (a 32 bit integer) and the
actual content (most likely 24 bits).

> I want the interface, engine, and
> recording all to be in 32 bit. There is a debate as to whether this is
> overkill,

There is no debate about this, except maybe among the ignorant.

> but I have the HDD space, and I really dig the fact that it's
> impossible to clip 32 bit,

It is perfectly possible to make a 32 bit converter clip. It will
do so at exactly the same gain settings as a 24 or 16 bit interface.

> basically. What would be a ruined recording in 24
> bit,

would at the same gain setting also be ruined when using 32 bits.
Just leave enough headroom by using conservative levels. This will
NOT affect your  S/N ratio which is entirely determined by the
analog circuits if you convert to 24 (or even 16) bits.

> I can just volume automate or compress. It sucks to lose a hot take due
> to one loud rouge sound.

You can do exactly the same with 24 bits.

> but again no CPU hit from real-time conversion.

There is no such CPU hit.

Advice: stop believing everything you read on the web.

Ciao,

--
FA