[Jackaudio] no audio through headphone jack

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:47:02 CEST 2020

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 17:20, Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:

> Am 07.06.20 um 17:55 schrieb Piscium:
> > There is something I have not figured out. If I plug headphones on the
> > 3.5 mm headphone port in the front of the desktop, the sound out of
> > the back to the speakers stops, as normal in pulseaudio, however I
> > don't get any sound on the headphones. I could not find in Cadence any
> > port specific for the headphones.
>
> Since you are using the headphones with their own audio interface, they
> are not used by JACK at all (I'm assuming your are using your internal
> soundcard as the device for JACK). You have to route sound to them via
> the pulseaudio-jack bridge. Then use pavucontrol to route the sound
> within pulseaudio to the headphones interface. you might be able to
> configure pulseaudio to do that switching automatically.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Switch_on_connect
>
> For your JACK clients (Audacious, etc.) to send their output to the
> pulseaudio-jack sink, either use their UI settings interface - but then
> you'll probably only be able to connect them to one output port pair -
> or some tool for automating jack connections like the qjackctl patchbay,
> aj-snapshpt, jack-matchmaker, jack-autoconnect or jack.plumbing.

Thanks for your answer, but I think I have not described my scenario properly.

Audacious is working just fine as in the Audacious Settings I set its
output to Jack, then using Cadence I can set the Jack output to either
the desktop sound card (speakers connected to the desktop back port)
or the mini-USB sound card (headphones), the same with Mixxx and VLC.
That all works well and the sound is better than when using Pulseaudio
presumably because Pulse encodes and decodes sound and quality is lost
that way..

What does not work is to send sound with Jack to the 3.5 mm headphone
port connected to the front of desktop (which as usual is connected to
the motherboard sound card just like the port at the back). In Cadence
I can choose the desktop sound card and the sound comes out of the
back, but I see no way to configure Cadence to send sound to the front
3.5 mm port.

It may or may not be possible to send sound to front headphone port
with Pulse, but I want to send with Jack. The whole point of what I am
trying to do is to use Jack for all the apps that support Jack (VLC,
Audacious, Mixxx, Clementine, etc) and use Pulse only for the rest
(Firefox, Quodlibet, etc). For Quodlibet it may be possible to use
Jack too by setting the Gstreamer port to Jack, but I have not tried
that yet, it's for the future.

I think that to accomplish what I want I will have to do some special
configuration of Alsa, though I have yet no idea how to do that. Or
else not use Cadence and instead configure Jack in some other way.