[Jackaudio] Headroom.

Karsten tuxtrainer at t-online.de
Mon Apr 5 08:55:09 CEST 2021

Dear Robert,
Dear All,

Imho you are right with your points 1 to 5.

In some radiomaker-lessions I learned to keep 3 dB headroom in music and 0 dB in speech /
voice.
Because music have more "energy" as speech / voice.

How about a slider to decrease the volume from a factor of -3 dB down to -inf ?

Generating with -3 dB and giving the user the choice seems to be the best. It's because
multiplying later in the chain will decrease the SNR (signal noise ratio).

I'm just developing an MIDI plugin between jack and my "AKAI APC Mini" to use the APC as a
multichannel mixer with faders, vu-meters and transport-control.

Therefore I need to get in touch with amplifying and attenuating signals in jack.

It's almost complete and know it's time to start some field tests.

Kindly Regargs
Karsten (from webradio-muenster.de)

Am 05.04.2021 um 02:04 schrieb Robert Wolf:
> Dear All,
>
> I am developing a software synthesiser.
> My question is about how much headroom I need to leave.
>
> My understanding is:
> 1. The audio range is from -1.0 to 1.0 (yes/no?).
> 2. Anything above 1.0 or below -1.0 will be clipped.
> 3. If the audio interface is 16 bit, then -1.0 corresponds to -32768 and 1.0 corresponds
> to 32767.
> 4. If I play a note on a synthesiser and it generate sine wave from -1.0 to 1.0 then
> this is no good. I need to divide it by some number to leave a headroom.
> 5. The question is, how much headroom I need?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Robert

Schöne Grüße / Beste 73!
Karsten

"Intelligence should be used for the benefit of humanity."
"Nichts in der Welt wird so gefürchtet wie der Einfluss von Menschen,
die geistig unabhängig sind. (A.Einstein)"

--
Schöne Grüße