[Jackaudio] Noise when using JACK in Linux Mint

Fabio G fabio.forall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 05:03:38 CET 2022

Hello to all!<https://sound.stackexchange.com/posts/51899/timeline>

I am experimenting with audio production under Linux Mint 20.3 (based on
Ubuntu 20.04). I managed to install a low latency kernel, then I have
installed JACK, and Qsynth, following the steps described in this tutorial:
<http://www.tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html>

http://www.tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

<http://www.tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html>Everything seems to work
fine if I use Qsynth and pulseaudio: I use the vmpk simple virtual
keyboard, and I have good output sound.

I have also tested JACK, as suggested in the tutorial using

    $ jack-play test.wav

and I hear the right clean output.

However, when I tell Qsynth to use JACK, I have a lot of noise. When I
hit a key I have "white noise" for few milliseconds instead of the key
sound, and only when it fades I have a little bit of the note that I was
supposed to play.

I have the same "white noise" problem is I use Rose Garden.

I have tried to change the sample rate and the frames/period settings,
and also the Timeout, in JACK, but the problem stays the same.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Best,

Fabio