[LAA] CLAM 1.2 'GSoCket plugged-in release'

dgarcia at iua.upf.edu dgarcia at iua.upf.edu
Thu Feb 7 12:34:24 EST 2008

We are jubilous to announce CLAM 1.2 'GSoCket plugged-in release'.
We had to wait for some months to make this release as we had to
redeploy the multiplatform release infrastructure [1]. Thus, the
feature buffer for this release is pretty full. It incorporates both,
the results of the Summer of Code [2] students work and the
involvement of David and Pau with Barcelona Media Foundation Audio
Research Lab[3].

We want to thank the involvement of GSoC students Hernan Hordiales[4],
Bennet Kolasinsky[5], Greg Kellum[6], Andreas Calvo, Roman Goj[7] and
Abe Kazemzadeh, Google Inc, and Barcelona Media audio lab members
for their precious involvement in CLAM.

[1] http://clam.iua.upf.edu/testfarm/
[2] http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/GSoC_2007
[3] http://www.barcelonamedia.org/index.php/linies/10/en
[4] http://h.ordia.com.ar
[5] http://bennettdoesclam.blogspot.com
[6] http://gregkellum.com
[7] http://ro-baczek.blogspot.com

A summarized list of changes follows. See also the CHANGES files[8]
for details, or the development screenshots[9] for a visual guided tour.
As usual binary packages for Windows, MacOSX and several flavors of Linux
are available to download.

[8] http://iua-share.upf.edu/svn/clam/trunk/CLAM/CHANGES
[9] http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam/index.php/Development_screenshots

Summary of changes:

The most exciting feature is the new plugin system (acalvo)
which enables third party algorithms to be distributed separately
from the core binaries. LADSPA plugins support has been enhanced
and a first iteration on FAUST[10] integration. The wiki[11] contains
very nice how-to's that cover most of that.

[10] http://faust.grame.fr/
[11] http://clam.iua.upf.edu/wikis/clam

Most of the GSoC work come as plugins: a SMS Synthesizer (gkellum),
a Voice synthesis/analysis (akazem) and some some cool guitar effects
(hordia). Also not included as plugins but in the main repository
several enhancements have been done on the SMS transformations (hordia)
and the tonal analysis (rgoj).

Some interesting work has been done on the Barcelona Media Audio Lab
on having a system to simulate 3D room acoustics which can be reproduced
on several exhibition systems. Some precomputed room databases are
available to try. Check the wiki NetworkEditor Tutorial for more
information.

Regarding the applications, Network Editor incorporates new usability
enhancements, a new on-line Tutorial and a new Spectrogram like view.
The Annotator received Bennet Kolasinsky attention improving its the
flexibility of its interface, the practical effects are multiple
segmentation and low-level descriptors panes and that we are pretty
close to visualization and auralization plugins.

Enjoy.
The CLAM Team